Sunday, May 20, 2012

Review: Sleepers by Megg Jensen

Title: Sleepers
Author: Megg Jensen
Format: Ebook
Publisher: DarkSide Publishing
Publish Date: July 21, 2011
Source: I received a copy from the author. This did not affect my review.


Why You're Reading This Book:
  • You're a paranormal romance fan.
  • You like good world-building.
What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "An adoptee raised in a foreign land, sixteen-year-old Lianne was content with her life as handmaiden to the queen, until a spell cast on her at birth activated. Now she's filled with uncontrollable rage and access to magic she thought had been bled from her people years ago. Even her years of secret training in elite hand-to-hand combat and meditation can’t calm the fires raging inside her.

Her heart is torn between two boys, the one she’s always loved and the one who always ignored her. But when the kingdom threatens to tear itself apart due to rumors surrounding the queen’s alleged affair, who will Lianne protect and who will she destroy?"


My Two Cents:

Sleepers is sort of a paranormal book that feels like it could be set in a different time. The book takes place in a world with two warring groups of people. Lianne is a member of one group who was adopted by the other group along with two other members of her own group. She grows up knowing that she is different and she knows about the other group that she originally came from.

I liked the book and flew through it quickly. I'm looking forward to reading the second book in the trilogy, Afterlife. That being said, there were a couple things that I would have like to see done differently in the book. First, I would have liked to see the love triangle built up a little more. Lianne seems to change her affections overnight and I wanted to see more development of the story to set it apart from the love triangles that seem to be so prevalent in so many young adult books. It just sort of fell flat for me here. I wanted to understand more about what was going on. My feeling is that you can do something that has been done before but there should be an added flavor.

I was intrigued by the world building and hope that there is more of that in the coming books. I thought Jensen did a good job of making me feel like I could see what was going on in Lianne's world.

Bottom line: a solid book for the paranormal or young adult fiction lover.


  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...