Wednesday, May 30, 2012

TLC Book Tour Stop: State of Wonder by Ann Patchett

Title: State of Wonder
Author: Ann Patchett
Format: Paperback
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Publish Date: June 7, 2011
Source: TLC Book Tours






Why You're Reading This Book:

  • You like contemporary fiction.
  • You're an armchair travel.
What's the Story?:

From Amazon.com: " As Dr. Marina Singh embarks upon an uncertain odyssey into the insect-infested Amazon, she will be forced to surrender herself to the lush but forbidding world that awaits within the jungle. Charged with finding her former mentor Dr. Annick Swenson, a researcher who has disappeared while working on a valuable new drug, she will have to confront her own memories of tragedy and sacrifice as she journeys into the unforgiving heart of darkness. Stirring and luminous, State of Wonder is a world unto itself, where unlikely beauty stands beside unimaginable loss beneath the rain forest's jeweled canopy."

My Two Cents: 

I've had my eye on this book for awhile so I was really glad that I finally got a chance to sit down and enjoy it. Patchett weaves a web of characters that all seem brought together for the main character, Marina, to finally realize some of life's truths that don't really come so easily to all of us.

I liked Marina, the main character, but I think that I may have enjoyed reading about Dr. Annick Swenson before. She's a really interesting character. She seems to move through the world with the utmost efficiency. When it comes to morals, she's sort of a mixed bag, I thought. There is one huge twist (and no, I won't give it away) in the book regarding Annick's research in the rainforest. It was shocking that someone could do that supposedly in the name of science; there had to be another way!

I loved the setting of the book too: the Amazon rainforest. I think that if I were a scientist, that would have to be one of the coolest places to do work even if it is dangerous. And it's very dangerous as the reader can see from the characters' encounters with an anaconda. I think I'm probably going to have nightmares about that part of the book for a long time. Even that scene serves a purpose though. I thought Patchett did a great job of pulling together all of the different events in the book that at first seemed to have no real connection into something bigger. It was almost as if Marina was going through some sort of spiritual awakening.

Notable Quote:
"But we cannot unbraid the story of another person's life and take out all the parts that don't suit our purposes and put forth only the ones that do." - Ann Patchett, "State of Wonder"

Bottom line: This is the kind of book that takes a little bit of warming up to before it really takes off. Once it takes off, it's worth hanging around for.






Don't Forget to Follow the Rest of the Tour:


Tuesday, May 8th: Unabridged Chick
Wednesday, May 9th: Take Me Away
Monday, May 14th: Proud Book Nerd
Tuesday, May 15th: Tiramisu Mom
Wednesday, May 16th: Jo-Jo Loves to Read!
Friday, May 18th: No More Grumpy Bookseller
Monday, May 21st: The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader
Tuesday, May 22nd: Lit and Life
Wednesday, May 23rd: Shall Write
Thursday, May 24th: Kritters Ramblings
Monday, May 28th: Stiletto Storytime
Wednesday, May 30th: A Bookish Affair
Thursday, May 31st: Paperback Princess
Thursday, June 7th: Dolce Bellezza
Monday, June 11th: Tina’s Book Reviews
Tuesday, June 12th: Amused By Books
Thursday, June 14th: missris
Friday, June 15th: My Bookshelf
Monday, June 18th: A Library of My Own
Tuesday, June 19th: The Scarlet Letter
Wednesday, June 27th: Man of La Book
TBD: Book Him Danno!



 

12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading this one, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was new to me. I haven't read anything by Pachette before. Great review! I'll have to add this one to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems that some love this book and some really dislike it. Glad to see a more tempered review! I think based on what you've said, I really should give State of Wonder a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patchett seems to really be a mixed-bag kind of author for a lot of people.

      Delete
  4. It's a good read and perfect for book clubs! I enjoyed this story and the ending will have you in a state of wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book too! I made my sister read it afterward and she loved it except was super mad at me for the ending, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that you get so excited about passing on to other people!

      Delete
  6. I started reading this one then promptly lost the book. :/ Sounds like I need to get another copy and dive back in!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a bummer. You need to get another copy and hop back in!

      Delete
  7. I also thought Marina was an interesting character. Actually the characters in the whole book were written very effectively (my thoughts:http://manoflabook.com/wp/?p=5355).

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...