Friday, April 11, 2014

Review: The Red Lily Crown by Elizabeth Loupas

Title: The Red Lily Crown
Author: Elizabeth Loupas
Format: ARC
Publisher: NAL Trade
Publish Date: April 1, 2014
Source: I received a copy from the publisher; however, this did not affect my review.






What's the Story?:

From Goodreads.com: "April, 1574, Florence, Italy. Grand Duke Cosimo de’ Medici lies dying. The city is paralyzed with dread, for the next man to wear the red lily crown will be Prince Francesco: despotic, dangerous, and obsessed with alchemy.

Chiara Nerini, the troubled daughter of an anti-Medici bookseller, sets out to save her starving family by selling her dead father’s rare alchemical equipment to the prince. Instead she is trapped in his household—imprisoned and forcibly initiated as a virgin acolyte in Francesco’s quest for power and immortality. Undaunted, she seizes her chance to pursue undreamed-of power of her own.

Witness to sensuous intrigues and brutal murder plots, Chiara seeks a safe path through the labyrinth of Medici tyranny and deception. Beside her walks the prince’s mysterious English alchemist Ruanno, her friend and teacher, driven by his own dark goals. Can Chiara trust him to keep her secrets… even to love her …or will he prove to be her most treacherous enemy of all?"


My Two Cents:

"The Red Lily Crown" is the latest release by Elizabeth Loupas, who is beginning to become one of my historical fiction must-read authors. I have enjoyed her other books and this one was no different. "The Red Lily Crown" is a story of an alchemist named Chiara and the infamous Medici family. It is a good blend of historical fiction and magical realism and I ate it up! If you're looking for a good book to get lost in, this is a great choice!

Chiara is a really amazing character. I loved reading about her in this book. I loved the aspect of her being an alchemist in this book. The Medici duke that Chiara works for (Francesco) is wild about alchemy and invites Chiara to practice in his household even when others frown upon putting so much faith into that practice. Loupas was really able to make the things that Chiara do feel really real. She is also just a really fantastic character. She's strong and as she doesn't have much family support, it is up to her to really make her own way and she does to the best of her ability.

And who doesn't like reading about the Medici's? I am utterly fascinated by them and the way that they ran things. Loupas uses a lot of good detail in order to bring the personalities and the reign of this family to life. I loved reading about all of their exploits!

Overall, I know my fellow historical fiction fans are really going to enjoy this book!



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you liked it! I can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Welcome to A Bookish Affair. If you leave a comment, I will try to either reply here or on your site!

As of 6/6/2011, this book is now an awards free zone. While I appreciate the awards, I would rather stick to reviewing more great books for you than trying to fill the requirements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...